Reincarnated as the Greedy Little Sister

 I Got Reincarnated as the Greedy Little Sister That Stole Her Older Sister's Fiancé, but I Don't Want It





“Ugh... I feel sick...”

On my way home from work, overcome by nausea, I collapsed onto the station platform. Then I passed out... and woke up in a bed in an unfamiliar room.



“...Huh?”



Unfamiliar. Well, to be precise, it looked familiar.


This... isn't this the Edwards mansion from that otherworldly mystery manga, ‘The Fragrance of Roses Lasts Forever’!?


I hurriedly checked my reflection in the dresser mirror.

Sure enough. I've been reincarnated as Ashley Edwards.



'The Fragrance of Roses Lasts Forever'—it's a manga where a young lady who calls herself a detective and her butler solve various mysteries. Beyond the quality of the puzzles, the exquisite distance between the young lady and her butler is irresistible. It has a large fanbase, especially among women, and I've been hooked since it first started serialization.


But the serialization stopped midway through the "Edwards Sisters" arc when the author went on maternity leave.

So, I only know the introduction to this story...



“Big sister, that orange dress is beautiful. Ashley always wanted to wear something like that...”

Ashley's trademark move, begging.


She was a master at eliciting sympathy, making everyone think, “How could a big sister not give her little sister a dress? Poor Ashley!” She'd manipulate Claire into giving Ashley the dress herself, succumbing to the silent pressure.

It wasn't just the dress. She took the necklace and ring gifted by Claire's boyfriend too...

Ashley took everything from her sister—and the moment it became hers, she'd get bored and abandon it. She'd been doing this since they were little, and then...


'I wish Ashley could marry someone cool like that too...'



Finally—she'd gone so far as to try to steal her sister's fiancé.



...No, no, no. I couldn't possibly do something like that.

What's the situation like right now? Depending on the timing, there might still be time, right?



As she sat sweating cold sweat alone, there was a knock on the door.

The maid opened the door, and in entered a handsome silver-haired man in his early twenties. He was a noble from another country and Claire's fiancé, Warren Forster.



“Good evening, Ashley. What is it you want to talk about alone with me, without Claire knowing?”



Oh. It's over. This is totally her meddling.



No. I should still be able to pretend nothing happened...



“Could it be about the letter you gave me?”

“Th-the letter?”

“‘I found myself wishing you weren't my sister but my fiancée instead’... That's what it said at the end, right? Ahaha, I was shocked you'd write something like that. I never expected it.”



I was shocked too. If Claire saw that, I'd be done for!



No, even if Claire hadn't seen it, sending a letter like that was already game over. Normally, Warren would have flatly rejected me with ‘I can't return your feelings’. Then Ashley's parents would have used the letter as proof, revealing just how much Claire had been losing out to Ashley all this time...

And just as I thought we were heading for a condemnation ending—Warren took my hand.


Ha?


“I think so too, Ashley. I wish you were my fiancée.”

“Eh... um, wait a minute—”

“Truth is, I've been interested in you since the first time I saw you. Claire doesn't seem interested in me anyway.”



...Is that so?


Is what I thought, but the Claire I read about in the manga seemed to love Warren wholeheartedly and Warren did too.

Why would Warren say something like this?

“She's fine when people are around, but when we're alone, she's cold. She barely talks to me. I guess she doesn't have feelings for me anymore.”

“That can't be...”

“The engagement was arranged by our families, so it can't be broken off. I know that, but if Claire doesn't have feelings for me...”

──Ah, I realized then.

This is the classic pick up line a married guy at work uses to lure a younger woman into an affair.


“My wife hates me. We haven't had a proper conversation at home in ages. I'm actually thinking about divorce.” That's how they make girls think, “I have to fill the void in this man's heart,” and lead them astray.

Of course, they have no intention of leaving their wives, and the lack of conversation at home is often their own fault. It's such a cliché approach, it's like they have a guide somewhere.



...Wait? Why is my sister's fiancé doing the exact same thing!?



Noticing my stunned silence, Warren apologized, “Sorry for bringing this up so suddenly.” But he didn't let go of my hand.



“But I'd be glad if you'd keep telling me about Claire. There's no one else I can talk to...”

“W-well, that's fine...”

“It's not good for a man to be in a woman's room late at night. Well then.”



Leaving behind a sticky smile (probably thinking this is what makes girls fall for him), Warren exits the room.


First, he acts like a gentleman to make girls think he's trustworthy. That's just another cliché.



“No... no way...?”



If I were an office lady, it'd be like some shitty boss with an affair complex reincarnated as Warren. That bad.

Me... why did you ever want a guy like that? His looks? and yet he doesn't seem to have much substance inside, does he?

“Huh... I mean...”

Claire marrying someone like that? Seriously?

Claire was serious but shy, so she often got the short end of the stick. Being manipulated by her sister was the perfect example of that.

Being clueless myself, I empathized with Claire and hoped she'd push back against her greedy sister and find happiness with her fiancé, Warren...



But why? Why did this happen?



Confused, I paced around the room, pointlessly opening and closing desk drawers.

Then I found a diary and "something".



“...Maybe there's a clue here.”



I picked up that "thing" and examined it closely before opening the diary.

Reading someone else's diary felt wrong... but right now, I am Ashley. I had to know how she thinks.

I flipped through the diary pages.



Later, I called Warren to the restaurant. I said I needed to talk about my sister.

It was dinnertime, so the place was nearly full. Beyond the partition, a family of three moved their forks and knives while chatting sporadically.



“I'm delighted you asked me out. Oh, and don't worry about the bill—I'll cover it.”



What a patronizing noble.



After a perfunctory “Thank you,” I immediately broke into a smile and said,

“You really should have changed your name, Lord Warren Forster.”

“...What do you mean?”

I handed him the report I'd left with the waiter.

As soon as he glanced at it, Warren's expression changed.



“Wh-what... is this?”

“So you're divorced, then. And the cause was your infidelity and violence towards your wife. Did you think money could smooth everything over and make you feel safe?”

“I don't know what you're talking about. Isn't this just someone else with the same name? Besides, didn't you thoroughly investigate whether I had any skeletons in my closet when we got engaged?”

“Yes, I did. And I found out what happened back then too.”


「…………」

「So you paid your way out of our family background check too? But my specialty is begging. Even to your old friend here—like this—」



I moistened my eyes and looked up at Warren.



"When I said, “It's for my sister's sake... Will you tell Ashley the truth? Please?” he spilled everything. He even told me about your old bad habits, the ones he figured would never change, not even when you die."

“Tch, that Kelly...”



Warren clicked his tongue. There was no trace of a refined nobleman's face left.



Flashing his displeasure, Warren slammed his fist on the table. He probably wore the same expression when he hit his wife.



"But don't forget, young lady. Claire is head over heels for me. She can't live without me now.

Try throwing the truth in her face. A woman who lived eighteen years without a lover? When she finds out the first man who ever loved her deceived her, she'll jump off a building!"

“…………”

"You don't want that, do you? You don't want to turn your precious sister into a crushed tomato, do you? Then you'd better keep quiet about this. And relax, I've never once resorted to violence. My ex-wife was incompetent, so I just disciplined her."

“...My sister...”


I muttered expressionlessly, holding back the urge to slap this guy.



“You think my sister couldn't bear this truth...?”

“Yeah, exactly. She's a little princess who knows nothing about the real world.”

“──That's what he said.”



I turned my face toward the family seated at the table by the wall.

Seeing the three emerge from behind the partition, Warren's expression froze.



“C-Claire...”

“...Good day, Lord Warren.”



It was Claire and our parents who appeared.

Father showed anger. Mother showed contempt. Then, Claire stood before Warren with tear-filled eyes and—



Smack! She slapped his cheek hard.



After staring blankly for a moment, Warren clutched his stung cheek and yelled at Claire.



“YOU *****! What the h*ll do you think you're doing?!”

“My apologies. I'm just a princess who knows nothing of the world.”


Behind the thin veil of tears, her eyes burned with humiliation and fury. Wiping the hand that had touched Warren with a handkerchief, Claire retorted in a stiff voice, “I was unaware there was a rule forbidding one from slapping a man who toys with the woman he's engaged to.”



Incidentally, the restaurant had been informed about this incident beforehand. Sympathetic to Claire, they had even arranged for extra customers to be present—so it wouldn't seem unnatural, and so they could serve as witnesses if anything happened.

Now, everyone was fixing sharp stares upon Warren.


“...Warren. Is everything you just said the truth?”

“Ugh...”



As his father closed the distance, Warren pulled back.

“Th-this...” He searched for excuses, but realizing there was no escape, he bit his lip.



“Truthfully, I'd like to punch you myself, but I'd lose control. We'll discuss this punishment properly with your family.”

“W-wait! It doesn't have to be such a big deal, does it? This sort of thing should be handled just between us.”

“My daughter was nearly deceived and ruined. For a parent, is there anything more important than that?”



Warren hung his head.

This man must have lied to his own parents too. About his ex-wife. About Claire, his fiancée.



Go to h*ll, I thought silently. Then, giving Claire a look, I left the restaurant ahead of them, just the two of us.



“Are you okay?” I took Claire's hand.



“...Yes. Thank you, Ashley.”

“Don't cry, big sister...”

Claire tried to put on a brave face, but it was clear she was hurting. Tears spilled over. I gently wiped her eyes with my handkerchief.

Ashley's diary had said, 'That Warren guy seems suspicious.'



'After catching his attention with a letter, if we talk alone, he might reveal his true nature. I hope that doesn't happen, but if he takes me up on my invitation, I'll need to investigate him further.'

I was stunned. The Ashley in the diary was the complete opposite of the naive, scheming girl I thought she was—she was rational.

And—there's more entries.



‘That orange dress doesn't suit my sister. She has such fair skin; blue tones should look better on her. But saying that might hurt her feelings. I know. When my sister wears a dress in a color that doesn't suit her, I'll just have to beg for it myself.



'That pendant Till gave my sister... it feels suspicious. I begged for it like usual, took it apart, and found his hair inside. Some kind of magic? Creepy. I'll make sure he never gets near my sister again."



My sister shouldn't wear metal accessories. They make her skin break out. If I point it out to her, she'll just say it's all in her head. From now on, I'll take them and make absolutely sure she never wears them.”



The truth about the greedy little sister was written in the diary.



Ashley coveted Claire's things solely for her sister's sake. Knowing this, I set out to investigate a man named Warren to carry on her will.



Even if it ended up hurting Claire...



“...Sis. Remember when we used to play wedding together?”

“Huh? Oh, yes, I remember.”



Claire, her crying subsided, closed her eyes wistfully.



“We searched for a white veil in Mother's dressing room and did it in front of the stained glass window upstairs. You played the priest and let me be the bride. Any girl would want to be the bride. But you said it was because I was the older sister.”

“We didn't know any vows at all. It was all made up.”

“Yes. But I remember one thing.”



Claire took my hand and smiled.

It was the same words written on the back of the portrait of her as a bride, tucked away with the diary.



“‘May my sister always be happy.’”

Comments